Market Pups and Kittens
Have you ever been tempted to buy or pick up a free puppy or kitten when you’re vegetable shopping at a weekend market?
You may want to think twice before you do but if you are still tempted ask the vendors these simple questions.
Is it vaccinated?
- Don’t take yes as an answer, ASK FOR PROOF.
- A veterinary Certificate of Vaccination with the vaccine vial stickers attached is the real valid proof.
- Puppies and kittens need their first vaccination at 6-8 weeks with a follow up booster at 12 weeks.
There is no excuse for vendor NOT to have proof of vaccination. By bringing an unvaccinated puppy into your home you could also be bringing Parvovirus.
Is it microchipped?
- Again ask for proof, THE QUEENSLAND LAW STATES;
- Sections 13 and 14 of the Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008 requires microchipping of cats and dogs prior to sale/transfer and prior to reaching 12 weeks of age.
Has it been wormed?
- Animal parasites can infect you and your family
- Puppies and kittens should be wormed from 2 weeks of age
- Then retreated fortnightly until they are 3 months old
- At 3 months they should be wormed monthly until 6 months old
- And then every 3 months for the rest of their lives.
So when you buy a new puppy or kitten you are well within your rights to ask for:
- Authentic Vaccination Certificate with vaccine vial stickers as valid proof
- Microchip papers with barcode that is your proof and identification number
- What parasite prevention the pet is on and when is it due for the next treatment
Please everyone if you are thinking about buying a pet as a Christmas gift make sure the new owner is aware and prepared for the responsibilities involved. The shelters receive so many of these ‘unwanted gifts’ in the months that follow Christmas, it’s not fair on anyone and definitely not fair on the young pets that have no choice in the matter.
When choosing a new addition to the family support the animal shelters who work tirelessly to save abandoned and unwanted pets. All their adoptees are vaccinated, desexed, microchipped and parasite treated.
DON’T SUPPORT THE WEEKEND SELLERS AND PUPPY FARMERS.